måndag 24 februari 2014

Out of my comfort zone

A good thing now and then is to work slightly out of your comfort zone, both in real life and when conducting your hobby.  I do have a love/hate thing with tying flies with slip wings. I kind of get them right sometimes, well that isnt good enough is it... So tonight I was on training camp.

The pattern I played with is a really old pattern, a Red Quill. Well yes the same name as Catskill style dry fly by Art Flick. The fly was first tied as a wet-fly in 1803 by an English tyer Thomas Rushworth. The fly is later mentioned as a dry-fly by no other than F.M Halford. Halford writes that "the fly is one of the sheet anchors for the dry-fly fisherman on a strange river". So, the pattern has some serious experience catching fish.

I managed myself to tie three of these, It took some time but it was worth it, I got pretty satisfied with all of them. I choose the fly because I promised to send my buddy Chris Sanford some "Halfordian" flies to be auctioned of at a charity event on the Test later this spring. Hopefully they will ride a riffle on the Test, maybe at a one of Halfords favourite spots.


Over and out
Niklas

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hi Niklas, I spoke to you at the Flyfair in Stafford where you tied some flies using the Polish quills, well I bought some and followed you instructions and have produced some lovely looking flies. I just hope the fish think the same! Regards, Colin

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Hi Colin
      Glad to hear that you tried them out, Iḿ sure the fish will like em.. almost as much as you and me:-)

      Radera